Annandale Preschool: A History
In 1947, a group of parents met to organize a cooperative preschool. They believed that using their own time, talents, and abilities could provide a superior school where both the children and parents would benefit from their close interaction.
With the cooperation of the Northern Virginia Council of Cooperation Preschools (now the Virginia Cooperative Preschool Council), the Annandale Cooperative Preschool opened in the fall of 1947 using toys, furniture, and playground equipment built by the parents. As enrollment increased, Annandale Preschool relocated several times until settling at its present location in September 1959.
In 1968, Annandale dropped its kindergarten classes to provide schooling for two groups of 3-year-olds and two groups of 4-year-olds from September through early June.
Through the years, additional classes were added to provide two-year-olds (and their parents) a chance to learn through play.
Today, the school provides classes for 2-5 year olds from 9am until 12pm from the second week of September until the end of May.